Saturday, July 26, 2008

I cannot control my children...and perhaps will not

This may not come as a surprise to anyone, other than myself... and actually I had an inkling. Last night, coming home from Miller Creek we saw some wild turkeys and Reno and I decided they were running from us so they wouldn't end up in our turkey sandwiches. Effie digested this information and promptly announced she would not eat any more animals. I didn't take it too seriously, and she didn't either as she inhaled her chicken nuggets at lunch today, but the seed was planted and I am a little worried that when she realizes that it actually came from an animal we will have a revolution. Bring it on, little girl.
Back to me, and my lack of control on the little people I created. Reno drew a whale and some people riding on his back (his interpretation of Surf's Up) on the wall at his daddy's office today and Ava threw a tantrum and went to bed without finishing her banana (and could therefore not have the chocolate chip cookies she was really after). In contemplation I understand that my job is not to control who they are and what they become, however it is becoming more clear that each day's events shape their personalities and outcomes. So my job is to what? Let her be a vegetarian? Not likely(I am kidding, but I will do my best to persuade her). I go forth from this moment with a new resolve to provide a creative outlet for that little artist as well. As for the fruit before sweets rule, I cannot budge. Its for your own good Ava.

3 comments:

kara said...

First I have to tell you that I love the pictures, where were they taken? And, they kinda make me want to cry. Next, control is overrated in my mind anyway. Isn't that what we have spent a good portion of our adolescent/early adulthood trying to get out from underneath? Also, did you realize that the last time the summer olympics were on you were in Austin, being sealed in the temple?? LOVE.

auntie said...

Come on Katie. Fruit before sweets? That's funny. If I lived down there, I would carry candy in my pocket and surrepticiously slip chocolates to your children when you weren't looking. For that alone, you should be grateful for the miles between us....
What beautiful children you have. Your mother was telling me about them today. Seems like you were just that age yesterday, standing there with your mother's too-big shoes on, a look of defiance on your pretty little face as you stared into the camera...

melissa said...

You go girl, Mothers know best and most of all you know your kids better than others!! All my love to you and yours. Gramie