Sunday, August 9, 2009

Proof that I have a heart

My friend Tess had her first child on Tuesday. She was at church today, a mere five days after delivery, and I asked her how Laevry was doing at night. She then told me not good, and spoke about each night, as there have only been a few at home. It was very sweet and I started thinking about how when you first have a baby, each day is such an event. You mark time by diapers and feedings. Each night is its own entity. You compare how he did tonight with last night. Slept more, slept less, pooped at 2 am, didn't poop until morning. Then in RS when I asked if there was anyone who had had an uplifting experience this week, she naturally raised her hand and spoke of the fact that you cannot have a baby without acknowledging that there is a God. She spoke of the miracle that her baby is and what ready-made love she has for her. It was really awesome to see a new mother go through that revelation that can come only after you have your baby. And I was grateful to be able to remember exactly what she was talking about since Levis only 3 months old. And here is my epiphany: whether its your first or your fourth, its still miraculous and such powerful thing. I was very callous all through my pregnancy about how its my fourth and no big deal. I am pleasantly surprised that it is a big deal. A major deal. Still. And I am grateful for it all.
*This will be the only post of its kind as I am generally void of such inclinations to voice tenderness and love. This blog is not meant to be sappy. I was just touched today. I promise, it won't happen again.

2 comments:

Emery said...

you can't fool me. you put up a good front, but i know you're a softie inside...whether you show it or not. and for some reason i just flashed back to the "best night of our lives" when matt sang to me and lurpy butt talked to you on campus. sigh...i miss you!

auntie said...

Oh Kate.